Sunday, October 19, 2008

Why I am a liberal

Today, on the back of my Starbucks cup was a new "The Way I See It," this one authored by George F. Will. Will discusses why conservatives are happier than liberals, while at the same time being pessimists. I certainly agree that when it comes to the government, true conservatives are rather pessimistic. So I thought I would discuss why I am a liberal, and my view on liberalism.
First, I would also like to lay claim to pessimism. While conservatives are generally pessimistic about the future they usually have some confidence in the here and now. Liberals wish for rapid change because the here and now is not adequate. We, I will admit, are a bit idealistic about the future. I would claim that neither side has a utopian view of any instance.
So why are liberals so pessimistic about the state of their country? I for one would quickly convert to conservatism if I thought the status quo had accomplished its goals. We can stop making demands on government, we can, as Mr. Will put it, experience the "pursuit of happiness" only when the government has made up for its previous mistakes. No government is perfect but in order for the citizens to benefit from the constitution we must first be pulled up and out of detrimental poverty. How can I argue that the government has no place in trying to benefit the worst off citizens, when that same government actively forced slavery on a race of them? I am not a white apologist, my paternal side leaves me at a 4th Generation American, but the government, I feel has never set things right. We cannot force the Japanese into camps, we cannot benefit from Hispanic servitude, we cannot ignore our past sins regarding slavery and failed Reconstruction. Let me be clear, I do not trust government one iota more than conservatives, but I believe the government has worked for itself, and worked for the priveleged for too long not to work for the lower classes. I do not blame today's conservatives for histories sins but I feel their solution will not bring about change for the impovershed, and for once I think government should help instead of hurt. When the government has not actively tried to keep a set people down, then and only then can we be left alone to make it on our own. Though they don't like it, I can find common ground with conservatives because we are both liberals. The historically ignorant among both parties will vehemently deny it, but we are all liberals. The difference is in what kind of liberal we are. I am a modern liberal, Mr. Will is a Classical Liberal. Maybe if we start with agreeing on that, we can find some kind of compromise.

No comments: