Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lincoln and Television

The more I read of Abraham Lincoln the more I experience this gradual epiphany. It comes to be in spurts, flashes of enlightenment like a storm with lightning. I'm slowly discovering that this man could have been great if he lived in our time. His legacy for his own people not just posterity would have been cemented. Few of those who met Lincoln in person, of those cited in Team of Rivals, ever come away from him with a harsh opinion.
Granted, party-lines prevent the most amiable of men from being liked, but at the same time I think that the more people Lincoln talked with in private the more votes he cemented. Television is much more personal than the radio, it presents the illusion that the speaker is actually in your living room. Once there, I think most Americans would have easily fallen into Lincoln's trap.

No comments: